learn more on this 14 min video
Watch this 4 minute video
REGISTER HERE 100% FOR FREE
JOIN OUR LIVE ONLINE CALLS AND LEARN MORE
MONDAY & WEDNESDAY AT 8 PM EST
SATURDAY AT 2 PM EST
ON THIS LINK:
Frequently asked questions
- Van Niel MS. Pregnancy: the obvious and evocative real event in a therapist’s life. In: Gold JH, Nemiah JC, eds. Beyond Transference: When the Therapist’s Real Life Intrudes. Washington, DC. American Psychiatric Publishing; 1993.
Van Niel MS. An overview of intimate Partner Violence. Chapter 1. In: RK Bailey, ed. A Guide to Intimate Partner/Domestic Violence. New York. Springer. In press.
Studies and Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Wynne J, Sayres M, Maddox DE, Idoine J, Alpert JS, Neill J, Holman BL. Regional left ventricular function in acute myocardial infarction: evaluation with quantitative radionuclide ventriculography. Am J Cardiol. 1980;45(2):203-209. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7355730/
- Sayres M, Wyshak G, Denterlein G, Apfel R, Shore E, Federman D. Pregnancy during residency. N Engl J Med. 1986;314(7):418-423. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3945268/
- Wittmann C, Moore C, Van Niel MS, Noam G. Prolonged mourning in a fifteen-year-old girl. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2007;15(6): 301-311.
- Phipps MG, Son S, Zahn C, O’Reilly N, Cantor A, Frost J, Gregory KD, Jones M, Kendig SM, Nelson HD, Pappas M, Qaseem A, Ramos D, Salganicoff A, Taylor G, Conry J, Women’s Preventive Services Initiative. Collaborators: Batur P, Borchelt G, Burstein GR, Cannon O, Chelmow D, Collins M, Glover S, Hoffstetter S, Humphrey L, Kowalik J, Markland AD, McNeil M, Mitchell EP, Nutt RJ, Sanchez-Birkhead AC, Van Niel MS, Stevermer J, Streilein A, Urrutia R, Zuckerman A. Women’s Preventive Services Initiative’s Well-Woman Chart: a summary of preventive health recommendations for women. Obstet Gynecol. 2019;134(3):465-469. https://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Fulltext/2019/09000/Women_s_Preventive_Services_Initiative_s.6.aspx
- Van Niel MS, Bhatia R, Riano NS, De Faria L, Catapano-Friedman L, Ravven S, Weissman B, Nzodom C, Alexander A, Budde K, Mangurian C. The Impact of paid maternity leave on the mental and physical health of mothers and children: a review of the literature and policy implications. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2020;28(2):113-126. https://journals.lww.com/hrpjournal/Abstract/2020/03000/The_Impact_of_Paid_Maternity_Leave_on_the_Mental.5.aspx
- Van Niel MS, Payne JL. Perinatal depression: A review. Cleve Clin J M. 2020;87(5): 273-277. https://www.ccjm.org/content/87/5/273.long
- Van Niel MS. Book forum: The Choice: Embrace the Possible, Dr. Edith Eva Eger, Scribner, New York, NY (2017). J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2020;59(6):774-776. https://jaacap.org/article/S0890-8567(20)30220-3/fulltext
- Gregory KD, Chelmow D, Nelson HD, Van Niel MS, Conry JM, Garcia F, Kendig SM, O’Reilly N, Qaseem A, Ramos D, Salganicoff A, Son S, Wood JK, Zahn C, Women’s Preventive Services Initiative. Screening for anxiety in adolescent and adult women: a recommendation from the Women’s Preventive Services Initiative. Ann Intern Med. 2020;173(1):48-56. https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/full/10.7326/M20-0580
Op-Eds, TV Programs and Video, Blogs, Educational Material, and Position Statement
Sayres M. The danger of denying illness. Boston Globe. September 15, 1985: A31.
Van Niel MS. Too many young lives lost. Boston Globe. April 3, 1987:11.
Van Niel MS. Firms should give parents more time with children. Los Angeles Times. June 6, 1987. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-01-06-me-2433-story.html
Van Niel MS. Needed: a new track for men and women. Boston Globe. June 20, 1989:28.
Van Niel MS. Mom as metaphor: women: not all are born nurturers, but that doesn’t preclude their having a happy family life. Los Angeles Times. June 11, 1990. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-06-11-me-35-story.html
Van Niel MS. The suicide of a bishop. National Episcopal Times, February 1995.
Van Niel MS. Best practices for working with women patients. Video presentation and web page guide. Best Practice Highlights. American Psychiatric Association website. 2016. https://www.psychiatry.org/psychiatrists/cultural-competency/education/best-practice-highlights/working-with-women-patients
Van Niel MS. There is no Nobel Prize for mothering. Cognoscenti. October 12, 2017. http://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/2016/10/12/women-and-work-like-balance-maureen-sayres-van-niel-md
Van Niel MS. Sexual harassment still occurs in psychiatry, says Women’s Caucus leader. Psychiatric News. December 7, 2017. https://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.pn.2017.12b9
Van Niel MS, Wrenn, G. How to recognize the signs of postpartum depression. Interview by Jeffrey Borenstein. Healthy Minds with Dr. Jeffrey Borenstein. Public television series. Season 5, Episode 10. March 8, 2018. https://www.pbs.org/video/postpartum-depression-1839h7/
Van Niel MS. Depression and anxiety during and after pregnancy: what every mother should know. Mental health brochure. Healthy Start program, Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA). 2018. https://www.healthystartepic.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/perinatal_depression_Moms_online.pdf
Van Niel MS. Moms: be sure to take care of yourself, too! Mental health brochure. Healthy Start program, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). 2018. http://www.healthystartepic.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/PPD-Flyer-2-1.pdf
Van Niel MS. The psychological effects of sexual assault. APA Blogs. October 8, 2018. https://www.psychiatry.org/news-room/apa-blogs/apa-blog/2018/10/the-psychological-effects-of-sexual-assault
Van Niel MS. Pregnancy-related depression. APA Blogs. November 9, 2018. https://www.psychiatry.org/news-room/apa-blogs/apa-blog/2018/11/pregnancy-related-depression
Byatt N, Carter D, Deligiannidis KM, Epperson CN, Meltzer-Brody S, Payne JL, Robinson G, Silver, NE, Stowe Z, Van Niel MS, Wisner KL, Yonkers KA. APA Official Actions: Position statement on screening and treatment of mood and anxiety disorders during pregnancy and postpartum. American Psychiatric Association. 2018. https://www.psychiatry.org/psychiatrists/search-directories-databases/policy-finder?g=4bc6fc4e-67f5-4f10-a453-91aa3e6c9989&Page=5